Sunday, January 21, 2007

Design and Business – it’s all about the love.

In many Agile projects, we hear about the ‘truth’. In many big corporations that means the Business Sponsor. I have found that the interaction I have with the ‘truth’ is what makes the engine really move. I have come to find that the role of designer becomes the role of idea generator.

Designers tend to feel an obligation to question every single business rule, and I’m no different. I have found the mini-brainstorms I have with my ‘truth’ put us on the same page, gives me insight as what’s going on in their head and opens a dialogue that is truly invaluable. Business Rules become shared ideas.

So much of Agile is in the talking to your teammates. When business and design show a united thinking, things really fly. I have yet to meet a business sponsor who doesn’t like to talk about ‘the idea’. Any chance to make the idea better is a win for all. I would much rather have a hand in creating the rules than spending my time questioning them.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jason,

Great post. I work with a designer within the Agile approach that consistently is the voice of reality as well as the idea generator in our team.

Thanks for the blog, keep up the good work.
kt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home